Saturday, January 10, 2009

RO ON SPACE ON THE NOSE - 3

COFFEE & BAGELS

It's Friday morning. I sit in a corner office on the 14th Floor of a Madison Avenue advertising agency, working on Microsoft. I bite into an Onion Bagel, bluntly cut with a plastic knife and schmeared with spring onion cream cheese. As the aroma of coffee wafts from the kitchen across the corridor, emotions wash me in different flavors; most of them are chicory-bitter, and a very few, sweet. I’m immediately transported to a Friday morning some ten odd years ago.

The cluster of downtown San Fran’s grey-brown buildings, kafkaesque, darkens my moving vision. The grating wheels of the cable car make auditory furrows upon the nerves of my teeth. A cold lonely wind wraps me in its arms and clings to me; when I embrace it back, it slaps me on the face.

In these few seconds, I am acutely aware of how outcast I was all those years, the embers of my spirit stubbed out by that apparently refined, non-smoking society. I think of what I left behind – a civilized prison that went to great lengths to pretend not to be one, in a culture outwardly refined and accepting and respectful of difference, but hiding its hypocritical ugly face under a beautiful, smiling, subtle mask of discrimination.

I thought I’d forgotten it, forgiven it, but it emerges from under the layered years of denial, popping up in the foreground like an expanded window on my Mac.

I no longer feel the ice-blue resentment against that clique; I was never a part of it anyway, and now, in a rear-view rush of gratitude, I know I will never be. That brand of exile no longer has the power to terrify me like it did, perhaps because I don’t look for mirrors to reflect my identity, or even my existence, any more. I’ve learnt to bite it back like I do every winter in New York.

San Francisco, you bitchcold city. But I must be a little kinder to you, you helped me become who I am today.

I sit on the 21st Floor of 135 Main Street. Swanlike ships glide under the Bay Bridge, leaving frothy white trails on an intense blue Pacific. I stare at my Mac, so grateful to be finally accepted.

A man with the grey beard sits cross-legged like a technological mystic, talking Microsoft on the carpet everyone has tread upon with their shoes, ruffling my cultural obsessive-compulsive sensibilities ever so little. Ah, he smokes, which makes him less civilized then. A narrow brown woman, softly scornful and unobvious in her beauty, flashes me a smile as she walks up the stairs to finish her strategy document.

There are others who make little impact on me, all with that cookie-cutter question-mark intonation, that same, pale, manufactured look, perhaps their only raison d’etre to please the mammoth, swallowing corporate powers-that-be.

A bus beeps – that same beep I have heard so often on Howard Street. The smells of Starbucks on California Street whisper memories into my nostrils again, and the late September air, with a little shiver in it, wipes in vignettes of Embarcadero Center and the howling fog around.

The honking of enraged New York traffic wakes me up to a new reality.

Everything is the same, yet everything is different. I'm still working on Microsoft, but I’m Ro, the New Yorker.

And my ultimate acceptance is only by myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a bummer that self-acceptance only comes with age... The ultimate endorsement is looking in the mirror and tolerating if not liking yourself. I've experienced the same 'coming of age', at 45. Aah, youth is so wasted on the young. But then again, if we had the 'wisdom' - for want of a better word for that hard-earned indifference to others' opinions - we have now, combined with the physical allure and boundless energy of youth... my God, the power would be scary. Perhaps there's a method to this madness, after all. God giveth (wisdom) and taketh
away (collagen)... All is fair in the end.

Anonymous said...

This really brought me back to my SF days. I just spent some time pleasantly "walking" my old route from 135 Main St. back to BART for my trip home (Google Street View!) complete with the stomach-churning walk past Lee's on the corner.

Mystic Brain said...

Is this Brad K? You really went to google?! Wow, what a creative idea.

Of course, there are aspects to San Fran that I miss a lot (now that I'm no longer afraid of it). Wish I'd learnt how to dress warmer from a New York day such as yesterday:) Like stolid New Yorkers, we braved the weather waiting for seats and sangria at Socarrat, the Paella Bar.