Tuesday, January 06, 2009

GUY ON SPACE ON THE NOSE

JOURNEYSCENT

Taking my daily commute, I follow my nose’s sensations along the way.

The scents in the hallway outside my door are simple: old carpet and dried paint. Flat and persistent, they crowd me from behind, shooting me forward like a pea through a straw, down the stairs and out the door.

Outside are a thousand scents, churning, traveling, growing and dissipating, as if I’ve discovered a new frontier. Exploration beckons, but as a dutiful worker I glide toward the subway instead.

I turn downhill after passing the last building on the block, and riding the wind, the scent of the sea hits me, faint but pervasive. It transmits the essence of that broad flat expanse of blue, miles away.

In the subway, the attacking scent of acrid burnt metal cuts an endless gash through my mind, like the tracks that run for miles from the city center to the land’s end.

In my office, the mix of dry, monotonous, faintest odors (must; bleached paper; alcohol-tinged equipment and floors; baked and cooled air ducts) presses me gently down into my chair.

  • Simple, flat scents = a long, directional tube
  • Millions of churning scents = a wide, dark, uneven surface
  • Faint but pervasive smell = broad, flat expanse
  • Metallic, cutting smell = a long slit
  • Faint mixes of monotones = low overhead

What spaces do other kinds of scents convey?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a very perceptive perspective.

I never saw olfactory space with visual associations such as these. Wonderful kickstart to a new way of thinking or "seeing space".

Imagine how this could play out with wines, and the million ways it could translate:

"The nose is redolent of spices, violets, and black fruits..."

"Dried fruit, leather and tobacco are evident..."

"On the retro-olfaction, there are whiffs of herbal notes..."

Mystic Brain said...

That wasn't me, Ro. That must have been an alter ego.

I agree, wine is a great space to test out your theories, Guy.

I will do start on the necessary tests tonight, and will share the results.

This is all very exciting!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I think youг web ѕite mаy be having
browser соmpatibility іsѕues.
Whеn I loοκ at your web sitе іn Ѕafari, it lookѕ finе
but ωhen opening іn Internet Explоrer, it hаs sоme οѵerlapρing issuеs.
Ι ѕіmplу wantеԁ
to pгovide уou with a quick heaԁs up!

Apart from that, еxcellent ωеbsitе!


My web-site - dallas seo testimonials