Thursday, May 07, 2009

RO ON SPACE & INDIVIDUALITY

‘I’ IS A SINGLE-LETTER WORD

My approach to individual space springs from an ingrained desire to acknowledge and respect my own existence. This strong belief has fed the choices I have made even as a child, unbeknownst to my family, and even to my conscious self.

Today, it’s reflected in my single, carefree lifestyle; in the emotional and physical space I surround myself with; in my one-on-one interactions, be they professional or personal; in the fact that I don't have a large family or any offspring; in the specific choice of my husband.

Yet, when I look at dear friends who have chosen to create miniature versions of themselves, I believe their individuality is not at all diluted; if anything, it is intensified, and multiplied manyfold.

So what are your thoughts? Is individuality selfish – or self-respectful? Are you the pure essence of yourself? How individual would you want your space to be? Or would the freedom that comes with too much space be a chain of loneliness around your ankle?

No comments: