Monday, March 23, 2009

LORRAINE ON REDEFINED SPACE

OM IS WHERE THE ART IS

People typically think of space as external – as in outer space or deep space, or the lesser distance between two objects, or between themselves and an object or other person or persons.

Yogis, however, talk about space in the body, especially creating it. In warrior pose, as an example, you are meant to root your legs into the ground like a tree while your arms reach for the sky thus creating ‘space’ in your spine and torso. Personally, I take my yoga one Om at a time, rarely gaining new, physical dimensions. Until recently…

After six years of living in chronic pain as a result of a car accident, I found a miracle worker, aka myofascial release therapist, and had the space within my body redefined. Literally.

While I recognized the physical injuries my body had been subjected to over the years, I didn’t realize that all the knocks life had doled me psychically and emotionally had been stored physically and added up to quite an internal mess.

Now with the redefined space in my body, I can do things I didn’t realize that I couldn’t even do – if you can understand that. Which brings with it a whole new experience of external space so that is also redefined. Consider this - if you can’t walk pain-free, you’re not likely to be going on any major hikes… and now I can!

And once you start being more engaged physically with the world, guess what happens? Your emotional and psychic space is redefined too.

I am so looking forward to doing backbends – I can hardly wait!

Om.

No comments: